Let’s talk about mushrooms!
While walking on our property months ago I ran across a large patch of Trametes versicolor or Turkey Tail. It’s usually very easy to spot with it’s striking colors and turkey tail shape. But did you know how wonderful this mushroom really is?
Research has proven that turkey tail has several beneficial and healing properties so let’s talk about a few of those.
- Has antioxidants that can help inhibit or reduce damage caused by imbalances in the system that lead to inflammation and cellular damage. One study showed over 35 different phenolic compounds in a sample of turkey tail extract.
- Turkey tail contains immune boosting agents that help strengthen your immune system.
- Research has shown that using turkey tail extracts in combination with chemotherapy extends survival rates in cancer patients. The mushrooms are thought to have antitumor properties that can inhibit the growth of certain cancer cells.
- Can keep your gut healthy because the mushroom contains prebiotics which helps enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria.
- Researchers are now conducting tests on turkey tails ability to reduced blood sugar levels for type 2 diabetics and improving athletic performance.
There are a few reported side effects from using Turkey Tail in combination with chemotherapy such as nausea, gas, vomiting and the darkening of fingernails. Overall the research on this mushroom has proven very positive and successful. I’m sure they will continue to find more amazing benefits of this wonderful medicinal from nature.
How can you incorporate it into your life? Turkey tail is one mushroom I would not recommend eating because the taste is well yucky! You can add the mushrooms to any broth you are making, can take it in capsule form, or take it in tincture form. Please do not consume any mushroom unless it has been verified by an expert to indeed be what you think it is. While most are harmless some can cause extreme diarrhea or even death.
So the next time you see Turkey Tail on the trail you will indeed know it’s power!